Setting the table for a nice dinner? Well take that place mat, turn it into a purse and go out to dinner instead! Place mat purses are quick and simple sewing projects, plus they make great conversations pieces. Follow these simple steps and repurpose that place mat in to a purse.
- Fold right sides of the place mat together and sew up the two side edges (fig. A).
- Keeping the place mat inside out, flatten the bottom corners. Center the side seams and sew a straight line across the corner about 2” up from the corner tip (fig. B).
- Cut the grosgrain ribbon in four 3” strips. Pull each strip through the ends of the handles to create tabs.
- Center each handle on alternate sides of the purse body, pinning the tabs on the wrong side of the fabric. Stitch across the tabs to attached them to the purse. Stitch again to reinforce (fig. C). Trim ribbon as needed.
- Turn purse right side out and you are done. If you want to add some pizazz, used fabric glue to attached some buttons, ric-rac or other notions.